I spent my time in the library at school using Photoshop and creating those cool custom images for the top posts and getting everything work correctly enough to go live on it for the evening. Evening turned to night, and I believe it is working good enough to leave up while the small improvements trickle in. Here are my favorite features:
- A customized image on the home page for any post I want to display there.
- The ability to display the most popular articles with custom graphics to draw the eye to them.
- The speed of the code is phenomenal. My host has been running slowly and was down for some time on the East coast yesterday (bad GoDaddy!), so I’m looking into “fixing” that.
- It has the backbone for multiple authors and is a really good framework for a magazine style site that showcases all of the different categories. I’m going to do some category cleanup as a result.
- The text area is very wide, leaving plenty of room to work with text and images into a great-looking post. This will take a while to clean up articles taylored for a narrow format, but I’m not complaining.
This new theme will take a little time to get used to and some effort to convert some old content, but I really couldn’t be happier. Go check it out for yourself and drop Darren Hoyt a line in the comments if you like it.